The proAKAP4 test for canines is an innovative approach to assess sperm quality and fertility based on the detection of proAKAP4 concentrations.
The proAKAP4 test works with fresh, chilled or frozen semen in extenders and with isolated spermatozoa.
What is proAKAP4 in canines?
proAKAP4 is the precursor of AKAP4 that is a structural protein playing a key role in sperm motility, capacitation, and fertility. The concentration of the proAKAP4 marker is a direct indicator of sperm quality and male fertility.
Why is proAKAP4 in canines important?
The higher the concentration of proAKAP4 is, the better the quality of the semen for all dog breeds.
- Good for all dog breeds
- Qualitative semen assessments
- Qualification of each ejaculate/straw dose
- Functional indicator of fertility
- Monitoring tool of a stud dog’s career
- Selection of sperm/straws with long-lasting motility
- Bastan I and Akcay E (2021) Quality assessment of frozen bull semen with the precursor A-kinase anchor protein 4 biomarker. Andrologia e14164.
- Le Couazer D and Bencharif D (2021) Are AKAP4 and proAKAP4 Found in Canine Semen? Preliminary Results. Aspects Nanotechnol Vol. 3(1):70-75.
- Carracedo S, Loyens A, Eddarkaoui S, Serteyn D, Malo C, Skidmore L, Briand-Amirat L, Barbotin AL, Maurage CA, Delehedde M and Sergeant N (2020) The sperm specific proAKAP4 polypeptide exhibited conserved functions, localizations and metabolism among mammals. Animal Reproduction Science. Vol. 220 :106448
- Langlade C, Buff S, Dias C, Commin L (2020) Assessment of Optimized Frozen/Thawed Semen Samples in Canines with the New A-Kinase Anchor Protein 4 Precursor Biomarker. Biopreserv Biobank. 18(5):409-414.
- Fang X, Huang LL, Xu J, Ma CQ, Chen ZH, Zhang Z, Liao CH, Zheng SX, Huang P, Xu WM, Li N, Sun L (2019) Proteomics and single-cell RNA analysis of Akap4-knockout mice model confirm indispensable role of Akap4 in spermatogenesis. Developmental Biology. 454(2):118-127.
- Le Couazer D, Delehedde M, Ruelle I, Sergeant N, Michaud S, Briand L and Bencharif D (2019) ProAKAP4 as a valuable marker to assess sperm quality in dogs. Reproduction in Domestic Animals. Vol 54(2):91-92.
- Nixon B, Bernstein I, Cafe SL, Delehedde M, Sergeant S, Eamens AL, Lord T, Dun MD, De Iuliis GN and Bromfield EG (2019) A Kinase Anchor Protein 4 is vulnerable to oxidative adduction in male germ cells. Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology – Vol. 7:319.
- Sergeant N, Briand-Amirat L, Bencharif D and Delehedde M (2019) The sperm specific protein proAKAP4 as an innovative marker to evaluate sperm quality and fertility. Journal of Dairy & Veterinary Sciences. Vol. 11:01-19.